An easy, prep-friendly breakfast option that’s protein AND veggie-packed! These Sausage Hash Brown Egg Muffins make for a tasty and satisfying reheat-and-eat breakfast.
- 2 ½ cups frozen hash browns
- ¾ cup diced green pepper
- ¾ cup diced sweet bell pepper, any color
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- ½ lb. ground pork sausage (see homemade sausage below)
- 8 whole eggs
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Cooking fat of choice
- Preheat oven 350℉. Grease the wells of a muffin pan.
- On medium high heat, brown the sausage in a skillet or pan. Once no longer pink, drain and remove from pan. Place on a plate with a paper towel. Set aside.
- To the skillet or pan over medium high add a little cooking fat. Once hot, add the hash browns and cook until lightly brown. Split the hash browns up amongst the muffin wells.
- Now to the skillet, add additional cooking fat if needed as well as the peppers and onions. Sauté until tender and cooked through.
- Top the hash browns with sausage and top the sausage with the peppers and onions.
- In the bowl crack the eggs and add the salt and pepper. Whisk well. Pour the eggs into the muffin wells over the hash browns, sausage and peppers. Muffin wells will be full.
Bake for 18-22 minutes or until centers of egg muffins are firm and cooked through. Remove from the oven and let set for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Homemade Pork Sausage:
- In a bowl combine 1 lb. ground pork plus 3/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. dried sage, 1 tsp. fennel seed, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes and a pinch of nutmeg. Add seasoned pork to a skillet over medium heat. With a wooden spoon break up the pork and continue cooking until browned.
*For nicely formed egg muffins, make sure the wells are really full before adding the egg. That helps them stay formed and not shrivel up.
Created in partnership with The Real Food RDs.