2023 Minnesota Pork Public Relations Internship
Offered jointly by the
Minnesota Pork Producers Association and the Minnesota Pork Board
The Minnesota Pork Board (MPB) oversees the investment of checkoff dollars in the areas of research, promotion, and education. It is funded by the mandatory Pork Checkoff.
The Minnesota Pork Producers Association (MPPA) serves the state’s pork industry through its focus on advocacy, public policy, and issues management. This organization is funded through membership fees and pig farmers’ voluntary contributions.
Location: Minnesota Pork Office, Mankato, Minn.
Term: Minimum of 12 weeks
Wages: $16.00 per hour plus overtime over 40 hours, no benefits
Mileage and expenses for work purposes will be reimbursed
Housing is not provided
Eligibility: Applicant has completed freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior year of college
Preferred Majors: Agricultural Education, Agricultural Communication, Animal Science, Marketing, Economics, Journalism, Public Relations, Education, Political Science, or Mass Communications
Tasks and Opportunities:
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to choose an Education, Communication, or Public Policy emphasis within the internship experience. Programming areas may include Public Relations, Legislative Engagement, Communications, Education, Promotions, and/or Events. A significant emphasis will be placed on further developing the individual’s professional network during the internship.
The intern will be assigned projects overseen by MPPA/MPB staff. Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Plan and facilitate local and state level events primarily targeting non-farming audiences
- Intern will work closely with the MPB’s Oink Outings program: consumer outreach events that facilitate a dialogue between farmers and consumers at farmer’s markets, family focused events, etc.
- Work with individual staff members to complete on-going or new projects
- Projects may include: leadership development programming, legislative tours or outreach, newsletter articles, youth education material development, graphic design, and digital and social media planning.
- Minnesota State Fair
- Intern is integral in planning and facilitating Minnesota Pork’s presence at the Minnesota State Fair
- Manage logistical details, transportation and set up of displays
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, farmer committee meetings, and industry working group meetings
- Other duties as assigned
Frequent weekend and some overnight travel required. Extensive driving required.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (including proper telephone, email, and social media etiquette)
- Ability to prioritize and work resourcefully and independently
- Organization and attention to detail
- Ability to plan a project and follow through
- Ability to work on several projects at one time
- Takes pride and ownership in quality of work and project outcomes
- Outgoing personality, ease in meeting or connecting with new people
- Able to work with people having diverse or differing viewpoints
- Able to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends
- Ability to communicate pork production practices to a non-agricultural audience
- Knowledge of pork industry and livestock production practices or willingness to learn
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, including Word, Power Point and Excel)
- Applicants must have availability for the 2023 Minnesota State Fair Aug 24 – Sept 4
- Applicants must have valid driver’s license and no major moving vehicle violations in the previous three (3) years.
- Applicants must be physically able to lift 50 pounds
- Submit a cover letter, resume, transcript, and list of references.
- Mail application materials to: Minnesota Pork Producers Association 151 Saint Andrews Ct., Ste. 810, Mankato, MN 56001, or
- Email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com
Application Deadline: November 1, 2022
Learn more about Minnesota Pork here.