Minnesota Pork Career or Internship Positions
2020 Minnesota Pork Summer Internships
Two Positions offered jointly by the Minnesota Pork Producers Association and the Minnesota Pork Board
The Minnesota Pork Board (MPB) oversees the investment of checkoff dollars in the areas of research, promotion and education. It is funded by the mandatory Pork Checkoff.
The Minnesota Pork Producers Association (MPPA) serves the state’s pork industry through its focus on public policy and issues management. This organization is funded through membership fees and pig farmers’ voluntary contributions.
Location: Minnesota Pork Office, Mankato, Minn.
Term: Minimum of 12 weeks
Wages: $13.50 per hour plus overtime over 40 hours, no benefits
Mileage and expenses for work purposes will be reimbursed
Housing is not provided (assistance available to locate housing in the Mankato Area)
Eligibility: Individuals that have completed freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year of college
Preferred Majors: Agricultural Education, Animal Science, Marketing, Economics, Journalism, Public Relations, Education or Mass Communications
Tasks and Opportunities:
Successful interns will have the opportunity to tailor their internship by choosing a specific tract or engage in specific programs at Minnesota Pork including Public Relations, Legislative Engagement, Communications, Education, Promotions, and Events.
Interns will be assigned projects overseen by MPPA/MPB staff. Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Plan and facilitate local and state level events that primarily target non-farming audiences
- Intern(s) will work closely with the MPB’s Oink Outings program. Oink Outings: consumer outreach events that facilitate a dialogue between farmers and consumers at farmer’s markets, family focused events, etc.
- Work with individual staff members to complete on-going or new projects
- Projects may include: pork ambassador events, legislative tours or outreach, newsletter articles, youth education material development, graphic design, and social media
- Minnesota State Fair
- Intern(s) are integral in planning and facilitating Minnesota Pork’s presence at the Minnesota State Fair
- Manage logistical details, transportation and set up of displays and pork exhibit trailer
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, producer committee meetings, and industry working group meetings
- Other duties as assigned
Frequent weekend and some overnight travel required. Extensive driving required.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills (including proper telephone, email and social media etiquette)
- Ability to prioritize and work resourcefully
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to plan a project and follow-through
- Ability to work on several projects at one time
- Outgoing personality, ease in meeting new people
- Able to work with people having diverse or differing viewpoints
- Able to work flexible schedule including nights and weekends
- Ability to communicate pork production practices to a non-agricultural audience
- Knowledge of pork industry and livestock production practices or willingness to learn
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, including Word, Power Point and Excel)
- Applicants must have availability for the 2020 Minnesota State Fair Aug 27 – Sept 7
- Applicant must have valid driver’s license and no major moving vehicle violations in the previous three (3) years.
- Applicant must be physically able to lift 50 pounds
- Applicant must be able to drive a vehicle while towing a trailer
- Submit a cover letter, resume, a copy of transcript, and two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Mail application materials to: Minnesota Pork Producers Association/Minnesota Pork Board, 151 Saint Andrews Ct., Ste. 810, Mankato, MN 56001.
- Email application materials to: email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: November 15, 2019
Learn more about Minnesota Pork here.