2022 Minnesota Pork Summer Internships
Two Positions offered jointly by the Minnesota Pork Producers Association and the Minnesota Pork Board.
The Minnesota Pork Board (MPB) oversees the investment of checkoff dollars in the areas of research, promotion and education. It is funded by the mandatory Pork Checkoff.
The Minnesota Pork Producers Association (MPPA) serves the state’s pork industry through its focus on public policy and issues management. This organization is funded through membership fees and pig farmers’ voluntary contributions.
Location: Minnesota Pork Office, Mankato, Minn.
Term: Minimum of 12 weeks
Wages: $13.50 per hour plus overtime over 40 hours, no benefits
Mileage and expenses for work purposes will be reimbursed
Housing is not provided (assistance available to locate housing in the Mankato Area)
Eligibility: Individuals that have completed freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior year of college
Preferred Majors: Agricultural Education, Agricultural Communication, Animal Science, Marketing, Economics, Journalism, Public Relations, Education, Political Science, or Mass Communications
Tasks and Opportunities:
Successful candidates will have the opportunity to choose an Education, Communication, or Public Policy tract within the internship experience. Programming areas within these tracts may include Public Relations, Legislative Engagement, Communications, Education, Promotions, and/or Events. A significant emphasis will be placed on further developing the individual’s professional network during the internship.
Interns will be assigned projects overseen by MPPA/MPB staff. Activities may include, but are not limited to:
- Plan and facilitate local and state level events that primarily target non-farming audiences
- Intern(s) will work closely with the MPB’s Oink Outings program. Oink Outings: consumer outreach events that facilitate a dialogue between farmers and consumers at farmer’s markets, family focused events, etc.
- Work with individual staff members to complete on-going or new projects
- Projects may include: leadership development programming, legislative tours or outreach, newsletter articles, youth education material development, graphic design, and social media
- Minnesota State Fair
- Intern(s) are integral in planning and facilitating Minnesota Pork’s presence at the Minnesota State Fair
- Manage logistical details, transportation and set up of displays
- Attend and participate in staff meetings, producer committee meetings, and industry working group meetings
- Other duties as assigned
Frequent weekend and some overnight travel required. Extensive driving required.
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills (including proper telephone, email, and social media etiquette)
- Ability to prioritize and work resourcefully and independently
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to plan a project and follow through
- Ability to work on several projects at one time
- Outgoing personality, ease in meeting new people
- Able to work with people having diverse or differing viewpoints
- Able to work a flexible schedule including nights and weekends
- Ability to communicate pork production practices to a non-agricultural audience
- Knowledge of pork industry and livestock production practices or willingness to learn
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, including Word, Power Point and Excel)
- Applicants must have availability for the 2022 Minnesota State Fair Aug 24 – Sept 4
- Applicant must have valid driver’s license and no major moving vehicle violations in the previous three (3) years.
- Applicant must be physically able to lift 50 pounds
- Submit a cover letter, resume, a copy of transcript, and two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Mail application materials to: Minnesota Pork Producers Association/Minnesota Pork Board, 151 Saint Andrews Ct., Ste. 810, Mankato, MN 56001.
Application Deadline: November 12, 2021
Learn more about Minnesota Pork here.