Supervisors for the Minnesota Pork Board’s
Oink Booth and Promotion Booth at the 2022 Minnesota State Fair
The Minnesota Pork Board (MPB) seeks applicants for day-to-day supervisory positions for the Oink and Promotion Booths at the 2022 Minnesota State Fair. The MPB seeks individuals with livestock experience, knowledge of the pork industry and experience with volunteers and the public. Applicants must have good communication skills and be responsible, self-starting individuals who have the ability to work both independently and in a team environment. Public speaking and supervision experience are a plus. Eligible applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
What are the Oink & Promotion Booths?
- The Oink & Promotion Booths are a pork industry educational effort at the Minnesota State Fair sponsored by the Minnesota Pork Board. Both booths feature a variety of materials, displays and activities. The Oink Booth is located in the Swine Barn (Robert A. Christensen Pavilion) and the Promotion Booth is located in the Dairy Building.
- The Oink Booth educates fair visitors about the animal and production aspects of the industry, while the Promotion Booth tells fair visitors about the product and consumer side of the industry.
- The Oink Booth also provides fair visitors with more details on the pork industry in general. Fair visitors will have the opportunity to view assorted displays and participate in interactive activities while visiting the booth. The purpose of the booth is to educate the general public in a fun and informative way.
Duties of the Supervisor
A minimum of eight supervisors will be hired to accomplish all functions for the two booths. Supervisors will be responsible for the following duties:
1) Providing the day-to-day operational support for the Oink & Promotion Booths at the Minnesota State Fair while reporting to MPB staff and other booth coordinators.
2) Orienting and working with volunteers who help at the booths.
3) Ensuring that all activities occur in a timely fashion.
4) Being a courteous, friendly staff for the booths during open hours.
5) Setting up, taking down and cleaning the displays on a daily basis.
6) Assisting with initial set-up and/or take down of the Oink and/or Promotion Booth.
7) Caring for the sow and litter and the big boar that are on special display for the duration of the fair (Oink Booth).
8) Other duties as assigned.
Terms of Employment
- Pre-Fair Orientation, Meetings and Set-up (to be arranged with hired staff)
- Eight (8) days or more during the 2022 Minnesota State Fair: Thursday, August 25 through Labor Day, Monday, September 5.
- Compensation: Supervisors will receive $13.00 per hour.
- Responsibilities: Hired supervisors will be responsible for their own housing, transportation, and meals during the state fair. Admission tickets and three shirts will be provided by MPB.
- Scheduling: The Oink Booth will be open to the public from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. on weekdays, and 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. weekends. The Promotion Booth will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. Supervisors will be expected to work in both booths. Other times for set-up and orientation will be scheduled after hiring. If you have any questions, please contact Pam Voelkel at (507) 345-8814.
Minnesota Pork Board
Attn: Pam Voelkel
151 St. Andrews Ct., Ste. 810
Mankato, MN 56001
Applications received by July 15, 2022 will receive priority consideration.